PROPHECIES OF CHRIST’S SECOND COMING
Remember that the Savior’s first coming was in humiliation (was born as a baby in a manger) but the Second Advent/Coming will be glorious. He came as a lamb but He is coming again as a lion. He was judged on the Cross but He is coming to judge.
The first coming of the Lord Jesus was prophesied and those prophecies came to pass literally. This gives us great confidence that the prophecies of the second coming will also be fulfilled literally and not in a figurative or spiritual sense. Prophecies of His second coming:
- It was first foretold by the prophets: “I saw in the night visions and behold one like the son of man came with the clouds of heaven” (Dan 7:13)
- It was foretold by Jesus Himself: “When the son of man shall come in His glory and all the holy angels with Him, then shall He sit upon the throne of His glory” (Matt. 25:31).
- It was foretold by Paul: “keep this commandment without spot, unrebukable until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ” (I Tim 6:14).
- It was foretold by angels: “…This same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen Him go into heaven” (Acts 1:10-11).
THE PURPOSE OF CHRIST’S SECOND COMING
- To complete the salvation of His Saints: “So Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time not to bear sin but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for Him” (Heb. 9:28).
- To be glorified in His Saints: “…on the day he comes to be glorified in His holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed” (1Thess 1:10)
- To bring to light the hidden things of darkness: “…who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts” (1 Cor.4:5)
- To judge: “…Christ, who shall judge the living and the dead at His appearing…” (2 Tim. 4:1)
- To reign: “…. Christ and He shall reign forever and ever”.
- To receive us to be with Himself: “…I will come again and receive you unto Myself; that where I am there ye may be also” (John 14:3).
- To destroy death: “…for He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death” (I Cor. 15: 25-26).
HOW IS CHRIST COMING?
- As a thief at the Rapture: “For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night” (1 Thess. 5:2). “Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the son of man cometh…The Lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for Him, and in an hour that he is not aware of” (Matt. 24:44-50). Be prepared to meet Him TODAY.
- Publicly at the Revelation: “Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced Him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of Him. So shall it be! Amen” (Rev. 1:7).
WHERE IS CHRIST COMING TO?
- At the Rapture, we will meet Him in the AIR (First Heaven)“…to meet the Lord in the air “ (1 Thess. 4:17).
- At the Revelation He will land on the Mount of Olives: “…on that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives…” (Zech 14:4).
WHO IS CHRIST COMING FOR?
- At the Rapture, only the ready saints, the first fruits are taken.
- At the Revelation, the tribulation saints, the main harvests (the ingathering) are resurrected in the first resurrection (Rev. 20:3-6).
THE MANNER OF HIS COMING
- In the glory of His Father: “For the Son of Man shall come in the glory of His Father with His angels” (Matt. 16:27)
- In His own glory: “…When the son of man shall come in His glory …” (Matt, 2:31)
- With power and great glory: “….Clouds of heaven with power and great glory” (Matt. 24:30).
- With a shout and the voice of the Archangel: “For the Lord Himself shall descend ….with a shout, with the voice of the Archangel, and with the trumpet call of God” (1 Thess. 4:16).
- Suddenly: “…lest coming suddenly He finds you sleeping” (Mk. 13:36)
- As He ascended in bodily form (Act 1:9-11). “…while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight…”
- In the clouds: “…see the Son of Man coming in the clouds of heaven” (Matt. 24:30).
- With His Saints (the raptured): “…coming of…Christ with all His saints”. (1Thess. 3:13)
- Accompanied by Angels (quoted above)
- In flaming fire: “…In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ” (2 Thess1:8)
THE TIME OF CHRIST’S COMING
- At the Rapture: The time is a secret that only the Lord knows: “But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only” (Matt 24:36). Jesus Christ as man did not know that date but Jesus Christ as God is Omniscient and certainly knows the exact moment when it will occur.
I believe it is a movable date (2 Peter 3:12) that can be advanced or retarded depending on the speed or slowness of taking the Gospel to every tribe of the world (Matt. 24:14).
- At the revelation: Christ will return with the raptured and the tribulation Saints at the end of the seven year period of the Great Tribulation, seven years after the Rapture.
SIGNS OF CHRIST’S COMING
2 Tim.3:1-7 lists twenty-three signs of His coming, most of which are very evident today:
- Perilous (hard) times
- Men loving themselves rather than loving God
- Disobedient to parents
- Unholy (especially occult involvement and sexual acts)
- Without natural affection
- Trucebreakers (breaking peaceful agreement on fight, war)
- False accusers
- Incontinent (when behaviors or emotions are not well controlled)
- Fierce (very angry or ready to attack)
- Despising good
- Traitors (not loyal or tell secretes to someone else)
- Heady (clever, shrewd, violent, destructive, exciting, intoxicating)
- Lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God
- Having a form of godliness but denying its power
- Silly women laden with sins
- Divers lusts
- Ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
Also in Matthew 24:5-7, 12-38
- False Christ(s) will appear
- Wars and war rumors
- Pestilences (HIV AIDS, Ebola, Hepatitis B, Cholera, etc)
- Iniquities will abound
- The Love of many will grow cold
- Eating and drinking
- Marrying and being given in marriage
Other signs include:
- The destruction of Jerusalem (Lk. 21:20,24)
- The completion of the Church (Rom. 11:25)
- The Gospel preached everywhere (Matt. 24:14)
- The coming of the lawless one (AntiChrist) (2 Thess. 2:3-8)
THE RESULTS OF HIS RETURN
From 1 Thess. 4:18, we learn that we are to comfort one another with the fact of the soon return of the Lord Jesus Christ. Whiles the hope of the world in the Old Testament times for four millennia was to receive the coming of the promised Messiah, the hope of the New Testament is the soon return of the Lord Jesus, so the last prayer of the Bible, Rev. 22:20, is “Even so, come, Lord Jesus” or in NIV, “Yes, I am coming soon. Amen. Come, Lord Jesus”.
This doctrine draws the wrath of Satan, for he hates this final glorious event (the Rapture). A worldly Church and carnal Christians also hate this purifying doctrine. Evil and adulterous Church leaders also do not accept this holy teaching.
It must therefore be noted that special blessings are promised to those who watch faithfully. “Blessed are those servants, who the Lord when He cometh shall find watching” (Lk.12:37). The fact of His return leads us to live a life of watchfulness, faithfulness, wisdom, activity, simplicity, self-restraint, prayer and abiding in Christ.
Let us now learn the results of Christ’s coming again under the following:
- WITH REGARD TO GOD
Isaiah 40:5, “…And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together; for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it”. When Christ returns, the glory of the Lord (God the Father) will be revealed and everyone shall see it (Rev. 1:7). God the Father’s plan of bringing Christ to earth to save mankind and bring man back to be with Himself will be fulfilled (completed). God’s agenda for Earth, this side of eternity, would be ended at Armageddon in the second coming (the Revelation).
- WITH REGARD TO THE CHURCH
At the Rapture,
- The dead in Christ shall resurrect: 1 Thess. 4:13-18), “…the dead in Christ shall rise first” (verse 16).
- The bodies of believers alive will be changed to be like His “… who shall change our vile body that it may be fashioned like unto His glorious body” (Phil. 3:20-21) (See also 1John 3:2). Also, 1 Cor. 15:51-53 record: “Listen, I tell you a mystery: we (the Saints of God) will not all sleep (die), but we will all be changed, in a flash in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable and the mortal with immortality”.
- The living believers and resurrected believers meet Him together (1Thess. 4:17), and continue to be with the Lord forever.
- The Bema (judgment of believers) will follow immediately after the Rapture (2 Tim. 4:8; 1 Peter 5:4).
At the revelation, the Church will come back to live and reign with Christ on earth, Rev. 20:4 “…they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years”.
- WITH REGARD TO ISRAEL
The coming of Christ will be preceded by the re-gathering of Israel, Isa. 11:11, 12. (The prophecies of Ezek. 36:24; 37:21, and Zeph. 3:19-20, have largely been fulfilled). Immediately after the Rapture, there will be a greater re-gathering of Israel. The nation of Israel, all 12 tribes, will be reunited, Ezek 37:19-24. Jesus Christ, David’s Son will reign as King as prophesied (Jer. 23:5-6).
Israel will doubtless be judged and cleaned at this time: “And so all Israel shall be saved; as it is written, there shall come out of Zion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob” (Rom. 11:26).
Israel and Palestine shall prosper tremendously at this time (Jer.31:31-34). In Ezek.36: 37, 38: “I will increase them with men like a flock. As the holy flock …” Also in Ezek. 36: 33-37: “…This land that was desolate will become the garden of Eden”.
Israel will then be the leading nation of the world (Zech 8: 23; Isa. 49:22, 23). At this point in time, the 144,000 Evangelists, 12,000 from each tribe of Israel (Rev. 7:3-8) will take the message of the Kingdom to all nations. “They shall declare my glory among the Gentiles” (Isa 66: 19). Many of the promises that Israel expected to be fulfilled at the first coming will actually be fulfilled when the Savior, Jesus returns the second time.
- WITH REGARD TO THE NATIONS AND THE UNREGENERATE INDIVIDUALS
Christ’s second coming will be a happy day for the Church and Israel but sad for the rest: “And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn” (Matt 24: 30). An unhappy day for the unconverted “Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.” (Rev. 1:7).
Those who will remain on earth after the Great Tribulation will be ushered into the Millennial Kingdom and will be forced to serve Christ; for He will rule with a rod of Iron (Ps. 2:9; Zech. 9:10; Rev. 11:15).
The judgment of the Nations will take place in the presence of the White Throne, after King Jesus had spent the literal thousand years on earth: “When the Son of Man shall come in His glory…then shall He sit upon the throne of His glory and before Him shall be gathered all nations” (Matt. 25:31-32), sheep and goats divided. It seems likely that the sheep nations will then follow the Lord (Isa. 2:2-3). At the White Throne Judgment, the goat nations (individuals) will be cast into the flaming fire (2 Thess. 1:7-9).
- WITH REGARD TO SOCIETY AS A WHOLE
The earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea: “They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:9). The kind of societal problems the world is experiencing today will be no more. This will happen in the Millennial rule of King Jesus.
- WITH REGARD TO THE ANTICHRIST AND THE DEVIL
AntiChrist will be revealed immediately after the Rapture and his reign of terror will be ended with the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ with His saints at Armageddon. “And then shall be revealed the lawless one (AntiChrist) whom the Lord Jesus shall slay with the breath of His mouth, and bring to nought the manifestation of his coming” (2 Thess. 2:8).
Revelation 19:20 tells of the final end when the AntiChrist is cast into the abyss (Bottomless Pit) before the thousand years begin but Satan will be imprisoned for that time period: “The dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years…should deceived the nations no more, till the thousand years shall be fulfilled” (Rev. 20:1-3).
- WITH REGARD TO THE PHYSICAL UNIVERSE (CREATION)
Creation shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption, “For the earnest expectation of the creation waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God…Itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption” (Rom. 8:19-21). The curse will be removed: “…instead of the thorn shall come up pine tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle” (Isa. 55:13).
It will mean peace to the animal world: “The wolf and the lamb shall feed together and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock…they shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the Lord” (Isa 65:25). The desert shall blossom like the rose (Isa. 35:1). “…the wilderness will become fruitful, until the spirit be poured upon us from on high, and the wilderness be a fruitful field (Isa. 32:15).